We always encourage clients set up their own hosting accounts as we believe you should always have direct control over your website – regardless if we part ways, etc. You can set up your own hosting account in 3 easy steps. Go to the Netfirms website and navigate to their hosting page: http://www.netfirms.ca/netfirms/web-hosting/
STEP #1. Under the “Plus Plan” – choose either 1, 2 or 3 year billing (note: the longer the billing period, the cheaper the price) and click the green “Sign Up Now” button.
STEP #2. Chose your domain: Either enter your existing domain name, or register a new domain name in the search box. **note: Next you will be prompted to purchase additional services (the Advanced Site Protection and Performance Accelerator and Daily Backup will be checked by default). These are not necessary. Be sure to uncheck these 2 items as you don’t need them (and they add an extra cost).
The “Add Domain Privacy” button is sometimes automatically checked – if this domain is for a business in which your contact information is already listed publicly, then we do not recommended this service.
STEP #3. Add your billing info and click “Check Out”
They will send you a welcome letter with your account details (user/password). Please forward this to me so I can access your account.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO SET UP THE ACCOUNT FOR YOU:
If you would like to me to set up your hosting account for you, I require your credit card information so I can set up the new hosting account on your behalf (with all of your information). This means you are always in control of the account and have full access.
WHAT’S NEXT FOR THOSE WHO ARE SWITCHING HOSTING COMPANIES:
- Once the new Netfirms hosting account is set up then I will put all your website files on the new hosting account.
- Then (if applicable) I will to transfer your domain name to Netfirms (or whatever company you choose). **NOTE! >>> You can transfer your domain name to Netfirms for free – however, you will have to pay to renew your domain as soon as you transfer (aprox $9.95) – this will just add another year to your domain name.
- When the domain name is transferred, the “owner” is sent an email to confirm the request is okay. That person or company replies to the email that it’s ok to transfer and the domain will be transferred to Netfirms (this is a safety feature to keep just anyone from stealing your domain – it always has to be approved by the owner).
- Then we will tell your domain name to point from your old hosting provider to the new hosting account (can take 24-48 hours). The files are already on the new Netfirms server, so there will not be any downtime of your website.
- Once this is complete then all your info will be with Netfirms, and you can cancel your old hosting services.
- And finally I will set up your email address (if applicable) under the new hosting account to ensure you don’t miss any emails.